BAKING A SPONGE CAKE ( IN 5 SIMPLE STEPS )
GATHER ALL THE INGREDIENTS.
- 1 Cup softened butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease the pan in which the cake is to be baked.
Cream the butter and sugar well. By putting them in a mixing bowl and beating them together till the mixture is light and fluffy.
Add the eggs and vanilla extract . Keep beating the mixture until the eggs are completely mixed.
your mixture should look like this at the end of this step.
- Mix the flour and baking powder by sifting them together.
Add flour. Keep the hand mixer on low or use a wooden spatula to stir the flour into the batter a little at a time. Be careful not to over mix it.
NOTE: TRICK OF THE TRADE…..Add some milk if the batter seems too thick. Make sure not to add extra milk or your batter would get too thin.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake it for 1 hour. Keep a check on the cake while it is baking. To know if your cake is done insert a knife or a toothpick into the cake if it comes out clean your cake is ready. Take it out and leave it to cool.
NOTE: Do not keep opening the bake while the cake is rising this will prevent it from sinking at the centre.
MAKING THE ICING
- Dice a cup full of cooking chocolate and put it into a bowl.
- Add some milk to dissolve it.
- Add 2 cups of icing sugar or if you don’t have icing sugar grind some sugar in the mixer sift and use it instead.
- Add 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Now mix all the above ingredients together in a double boiler.
- Apply the icing on the cake.
- Put some icing into a piping bag with the desired nozzle and design the cake with it.
- To add chocolate decoration mix chocolate pieces with butter in a double boiler, put it in a piping bag, pipe out the desired shapes or design on butter paper and set it in the fridge for 1 hour and then add it to the cake .
I never thought making a cake could be so easy. I am very happy with the outcome. As you can see the cake looks amazing and tasty as well. I really enjoyed baking this cake.